The next meeting of Harrogate Socialist Party will be on the theme of “Britain in 2015”. The meeting will take place on Tuesday 3rd February, starting 7.30 pm. The venue is the Stone Beck pub, Jenny Field Drive, Harrogate, HG3 2XQ. All welcome!
An explosion of inequality is taking place in Britain and across the world, with rising poverty and a return to the conditions of the 1930’s.
- 1 million people are now using food banks in Britain
- A recent church-funded report on “hungry Britain” highlighted a case of malnutrition in Birkenhead, where an unemployed woman had not eaten for 5 days because she had no money to buy food (http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/08/welfare-confront-simple-fact-hunger-stalks-britain-church-report)
- A man from the Wirral was crushed to death after a refuse lorry picked up the bin in which he was scavenging for food. The jobcentre had sanctioned his benefits and he had had no money for 17 weeks.
- Since October 2012, almost 850,000 individuals have received benefit sanctions
The government’s programme is endless austerity, with £55 billion worth of cuts still required from Whitehall departments. It means a slashing of the state to the levels of the 1930’s as a proportion of GDP, amidst a worsening crisis of capitalism.
However, the response from Labour is only more of the same. Miliband has stated that “there is no path to growth and prosperity for working people which does not tackle the deficit.”
TUSC – A political alternative
The Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition (TUSC) is building an alternative to the pro-market, pro-cuts establishment parties. TUSC is gathering together socialists, trade unionists and community campaigners in a coalition against austerity. TUSC puts forward a socialist alternative to poverty and inequality, including:
- Re-nationalising all rail, bus and ferry services to build an integrated, low-pollution public transport system. Taking Royal Mail back into public ownership to guarantee our postal services
- Bringing banks and finance institutions into genuine public ownership under democratic control
- Stopping all privatisation, including the Private Finance Initiative (PFI) and Public-Private Partnerships (PPP). Bringing privatised public services and utilities back into public ownership under democratic control.
- Scrapping zero hour contracts. Guaranteed hours and full employment rights for all
Would you like to help the TUSC campaign in Harrogate? For further information and to join our mailing list, please contact harrogatesocialists[at]gmail.com
For information about TUSC nationally, visit: http://www.tusc.org.uk
Victory to Syriza!
Socialists were joining the celebrations at the Greek Embassy in London tonight, following the victory of the anti-austerity Syriza party.
A press release by the Socialist Party states that “since the onset of the economic crisis the Socialist Party has argued that austerity is not necessary. This election result in Greece will give hope to millions of people across Europe and the world that there is an alternative to the promise of endless cuts and privatisation”.
For the full press release see the following link: http://www.socialistparty.org.uk/articles/19984/26-01-2015/socialists-joining-celebrations-at-greek-embassy
To read more analysis about Britain in 2015, see the following article from The Socialist, the weekly newspaper of the Socialist Party:
Harrogate Socialist Party street stalls
Our next street stall will take place on Saturday 31st January on the issue of affordable housing for Harrogate. We will be campaigning for rent controls, building council houses and abolishing the bedroom tax.
The stall will take place on Cambridge Street in the town centre, beginning at 11.00 and finishing around 1.00. All welcome!
We will also be holding a street stall in Knaresborough in February. More details to follow.
For further details about all our activities, contact harrogatesocialists[at]gmail.com